Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tuscloosa Love

I love Tuscaloosa.  Like really love it.  Which is kind of funny to me because by December 2007, I could not wait to get out of that city.  I'd been there for 4.5 years and I missed home.  It wasn't until I actually got home that I realized how much "home" had changed.  My sweet little 13 year old brother had turned into a 17 year old high school senior that was counting the days until he headed to Tuscaloosa.  My pesky sister was not there anymore she'd firmly planted herself in Tuscaloosa.  My older brother was three children richer (or poorer depending on how you look at it. ha!) with one more on the way.  My parents were still crazy as ever but had already started adjusting to an empty nest (and didn't appear to be the least bit sad about it).  Finally, I was finishing up planning the wedding of my dreams and decorating our first home together.  It was hardly the "home" from August 2003 when I first flew the coop.  Not that it was a bad thing it was just different.  I knew all those things were happening but when I thought of home I only imagined how it used to be.  I quickly realized all the things I was so anxious to get back to were no longer there and they'd never be back.  These are all things that I didn't realize right away but over the course of that first year I was back.  It really hit me during football season when I was back in Tuscaloosa that I realized that it wasn't so bad that I'd actually {gasp} missed the place.  It was then that I rekindled my love for Tuscaloosa.  It was like an old relationship where all you can remember are the good times.  All you think about are the flowers and perfect dates, you don't remember the fights and tears.  All I thought about were the tailgates and springtime on the quad.  I, for the life of me, couldn't recall walking to class in the rain (and the way Tuscaloosa floods when it even sprinkles) or the parking ticket for my bumper hanging over the sidewalk at my house.  I remembered how I loved my morning runs around the neighborhood on the sidewalks, something I will always regret not taking full advantage of. 
This is all nothing new.  I talk about it each fall when I head down for the first game of the season and my mind is flooded with all the great memories of my favorite time of year in Tuscaloosa. 
I was reminded again last night when I took my sweet niece Ava for the gymnastics meet.  We made it a Girls Night Out: Aunts/Nieces style with Kristen and Kaley.  Elizabeth came along for the fun too.  We had a blast!  We had dinner at Mugshots and then drove right through the heart of campus on the way to Coleman Coliseum.  We went by Bryant-Denny Stadium, the Quad, the Presidents Mansion, and the newly renovated Foster's Auditorium.  Ava had been to this part of campus during football season but Kaley hadn't seen it.  It was fun to share that with the girls.  Some things look completely different and some things will always look exactly the same. 
We finally got parked and started the long walk.  All the lights at Coleman were pink in honor of Breast Cancer.  It was beautiful.  We go to our seats to catch the very end of warm ups.  The cheerleaders and Big Al came out to get the crowd pumped.   They recognized the alumni (I got to see Ashley Miles one of my favorites from when I was there) and the 1991 National Championship team who were celebrating their 20 year anniversary.  We loved seeing the footage from the '91 season.  The hair was amazing and Sarah Patterson's dress was over the top.  Finally, it was time for the team introductions and the competition to start. 

Lit up all pink. 

Kristen, Kaley, Me and Ava. 
Me, Sister and Ava. 
The girls as we were leaving Mugshots.

Kaley and Kristen waiting on the meet to start.
The 91' team.  I should have taken my better lens in I'm mad at myself for not.
Cheerleaders and Big Al.  I loved the pink poms. 


The team coming out.  This is my favorite part.

The girls sitting outside.


We had so much fun.  The tide won which is always exciting.  Kaley fell asleep and she was really out.  She had to be carried to the car.  We couldn't wake her up enough for her to walk.  We dropped Elizabeth off and headed back home.  Home to my house.  I feel like I have so many "homes".  I still call my parents house "home" and my house.  The girls slept the whole way.  Ally was so excited to see Ava when we finally got home.  We put on our pjs and hit the sack.  But not before a little cuddle time with our favorite poodle.


As much as I love Tuscaloosa.  I love home too.  I still love "home" at my parents even with all the emptiness.  I love my own "home" more than I ever thought was possible that first year.  I thought I'd never adjust.  I thought I'd never appreciate home for what it is not what it was.  I do appreciate it now.  It makes the past that much sweeter and my home that much homier.

No comments: