Saturday, February 26, 2011

Blast from the Past

We all have things we hold onto from our childhood, high school and even college days.  I'm a very sentimental person.  I still have all of my cheerleading uniforms from when I cheered at the park through high school.  It was such a big part of my life and some of my best memories from growing up.  When I graduated from high school there were in the process of building this Jim N Nicks restaurant.  They used local "stuff" to decorate with.  The entry was filled with jerseys and uniforms from various sports teams in the area.  They wanted a megaphone and some pompoms so they contacted the athletic club at Gardendale.  They said they wanted the best cheerleader's megaphone.  I was the one selected.  Someone called me and I said sure.  So for 5+ years my megaphone has hung in the entry way.  I was so proud!  Well a few weeks ago it was brought to my attention that my megaphone had been taken down.  At first I was sad but then I was concerned that they'd just tossed it.  Last night we went in to eat dinner, after our meal I asked to speak to a manager the conversation went something like this...

ME: "Um you know the megaphone that used to hang over the door?"
Manager Woman: "Yeah"
Me:  "Do you by any chance still have it?"
Manager Woman: "Yeah, somewhere..."
Me: "Really?!?  Can I have it back?  I'm Maggie!!!"
Manager: "Um sure, let me go see if I can find it." looking at me weirdly and almost feeling sorry for me that I want to hang on to the past so tightly.

It was at this point I realized how pathetic this all seemed.  But my friend Brittany reminded me that those things aren't free and I deserved to have it back.
I was so excited when she brought it out to me.
Here I am in all my glory posing so proudly with my megaphone.

After dinner we went back to Kristen and Brittany's house to watch a movie and enjoy cupcakes.  We watched Dinner for Schmucks.  It was pretty funny.  (I have to admit I didn't watch all of it.  Most of the time was spent letting Brittany help me set up my google reader!)  Brittany also built us a little fire outside in the fire pit.  It was a bit cool out so we didn't stay out long.   

Warming up by the fire.

Brittany enjoying her fire. She was so proud.

Pretty good for our first time.  (I've built fires before but usually with adult supervision.)

No comments: