Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Ten Years

We've been married for TEN YEARS!!!  I know one day ten years will seem like just a drop in the bucket but right now it feels huge.  We've lived a lot of life in ten short years!  Some days it feels like a lifetime ago and some days it feels like yesterday.  I'm so thankful that we can both look back on the last decade of our lives and smile.  It wasn't always pretty or happy but there are way more good memories than bad ones.  Plus, a lot of the bad memories made us even closer.  We've laughed, we've cried and we've laughed until we cried!  I think if I had any advice for people about marriage or finding "the one" I would say... Marriage is less about your compatibility and more about your willingness to make it work.  Your commitment to each other is what will make it last.  Patrick and I don't always agree.  We're actually very different.  He's very much an introvert, and I'm more of an extrovert.  He is not a morning person and would rather stay up all night and I usually go to bed as early as I can.  I don't love to get up early but I'm way more productive in the morning.  I'm more neat and tidy, he doesn't care if there is crap piled everywhere.  In fact in lieu of a closet he just has piles of clean clothes everywhere.  I like to go and do and he would rather stay home and watch a movie.  I'm a "the more the merrier" friend and he is more "quality over quantity".  We learned at Financial Peace University we are both "Free Spirit, Spenders" (I have more nerd tendencies but live more as a free spirit).  Which does not bode well for finances.  We're working on it.  Patrick would rather spend money on stuff, where as I would rather have experiences (I will need a cute outfit for the experience though).  Even after 10 years we are still learning new things about each other.  People change so much over time.  This isn't a bad thing, but you have to grow and learn and change together.  
March 28, 2008
March 28, 2018
This was before Patrick left for work, I was still in my robe having my quiet time.  I can't believe how different we look.  When I think about us, I still see those two kids from ten years ago (although I really don't remember Patrick having that much hair or it being that dark).  
We celebrated by going to work and then had take out Chinese food with our kids.  We have a fun trip planned next month for just the two of us.  I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I  don't want to wish the time away but I can't wait.  Of course you know it takes an act of congress to travel anywhere without your kids when you have kids.  Especially when they're involved in anything.  But we're finalizing all the details now and it will all be worth it. 

I love this life we've made together and I can't wait to see what unfolds in the next 10 years.

PS: Also my goal for my 10th anniversary was to be able to fit into my dress again.  I'm proud to say that I got in it and even got it zipped the other day!  




No comments: