Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Mama Day!

So my sister presented this idea to me and my Mama as a celebration for Mother's day and my birthday and I couldn't say yes fast enough!  She said we should eat lunch at Taco Mama, go see Mama Mia! and cap the day with a beer at Mom's basement!  I was thrilled because I love Taco Mama and I'd been trying to figure out a way to see Mama Mia!  So sister bought our tickets and I'd had the date circled for days!  
We'd been texting about the menu and what we were going to eat for a couple of days and the one thing we agreed on was a pitched of Sangrita!  It's a mix of sangria and margaritas (I'm betting you were all smart enough to figure that out but just in case.)  I got the salad with grilled shrimp and it was amazing!  While we were sitting there, they both mentioned that this was the same block we always parked on when we went to the orthodontist.  (Since my parents had to put four kids in braces we went to the UAB school of orthodontics for our braces, it's still the thing I am most thankful for!) It used to be a different little diner but has since been transformed in to a little strip of restaurants and condos. 
Just trying to get a good picture.


Mom kept saying we only invited her so we could make fun of her.  That's not entirely true.  We invited her so she would buy us lunch.  I'm kidding.  But when she's around the jokes pretty much write themselves.
After lunch we headed to the theater for the show!
First I made them take pictures of me by myself because I felt like my dress was perfect for a trip to Greece.

Then we figured out how to get a selfie with most of the sign.

We made our way inside where I was pleased to find they'd added a spot light to the big sign for better pictures.  It was my only complaint from Beauty and the Beast.

Then we made the sweet girls behind us take our picture with the stage.  We were so excited!

The show was fantastic!  It was so much fun and made you want to dance from start to finish!  I kind of want to go see it again!

After the show we headed to a newish bar called Mom's Basement.  It looks like every 90's kids family's basement room.  It even smells like it!  Everything they serve is in a can, you can bring a picture of your mom and they have a wall where they'll hang it.




We were so excited!

I'm pretty sure they are laughing at me but I'm not sure why.
You know you're old when you're happy to go to a bar at 4:30 on a Saturday because you know you're going to beat the crowds.



We took one of mom's glamour shots circa 1992.  We had a couple of beers here and then headed to Big Spoon Creamery for a night cap of ice cream!
I couldn't decide which flavor I wanted so I got the flight.  I got to choose six flavors.  I got goat cheese blackberry thyme (this was my last pick and I wasn't excited about it but my sister wanted to try it so I got it), Peach buttermilk, Sangria Sorbet, Watermelon Frose Rose, Berry Elderflower and Vanilla.  The Goat Chesse Blackberry Thyme ended up being my favorite.  In fact I've been trying to figure out when I can get another one.  
It was the perfect ending to the best day.  We had so much fun laughing together!  One of my favorite things is laughter and my mom has the best laugh and never wastes an opportunity to use it!  It's probably what we do best when we're all together.





No comments: