Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Easter 2020

 We will never forget Easter 2020. The one we spent at home just the four of us.  We made the most of it.  I spent the week planning the menu for the weekend.  I was so excited.  It was so nice to have something to look forward to.  
I picked up donuts from out favorite local spot Saturday morning and we had a fun brunch.  We hid eggs for the kids to find.  They had the best time.  We hung out at home (duh) the rest of the day and just enjoyed being together.  We facetimed family.  We missed going to Grandmothers but we made the most of the day.
I picked flowers from the yard and made centerpieces for our Easter lunch.  I prepped lunch for Sunday.  Face timed my parents late Saturday night to make sure I wasn't ruining my ham. Laughed a lot.  It was really hard to not be with family for Easter.  We are a close family.  My parents cook lunch every Sunday, we don't all come every Sunday but my kids and I do.  So we're used to seeing them at least once a week.  Usually more because they help me a lot shuttling kids when Patrick has to work. So it's been hard not seeing them.  Barrett face times them nearly every day.  I've probably actually talked to them more in quarantine than I did before but I miss seeing them.

The Easter Bunny came (even though the kids rooms didn't get cleaned up.)  He brought new books and games, which have come in handy while being home.  Barrett has become quite the book worm and I love it.  It's really sweet watching him enjoy a good book! 

Can you tell I'm proud of my centerpieces?

We got up pretty early Sunday morning.  The kids usually sleep late but they were excited to see what the Easter bunny brought.  I put my 10lb ham in the oven and we watched Easter Mass at 8:30.  I love the joy of Easter Sunday after the solemn season of Lent but it was definitely not the same as being there.  I can't wait to go to church again.

I made ham, broccoli casserole, oriental slaw, instant mashed potatoes, shells & cheese and rolls.  I didn't over do it, but I wanted to have some of our favorite comfort foods. 

I got out the china and Barrett helped me set the table.  It was a really sweet meal with my little family.  It was definitely not the same but we made it special and I think it's an Easter we'll always remember.

We got lunch all cleaned up just in time for the severe weather coverage.  Barrett is more aware now and we tiptoe the line of being cautious without making him anxious.  We usually go to the basement when its clear we're in the path and then get in the closet when the siren goes off.  I always pack a little bag with shoes and clothes and my wallet, keys, phone charger and power bank for the charger in case we lose power.  I got the kids helmets out earlier in the day and put it all in the closet.  I told Barrett our motto is "Prepared, not scared!"  We ended up in the closet for a bit but thankfully it wasn't too close to us.

This one slept through most of it.  Wasn't scared or phased in the least.  
It was an Easter to remember for sure! 

No comments: