Tuesday, October 16, 2018

First Kindergarten Field Trip

I'm going to be honest when I realized my kids would be Blue Devils instead of Rockets I was a little upset.  I grew up in Rocket country, I bled maroon and gray.  I loved my school and now my kids were going to be our bitter rival?! I just wasn't sure I could handle it.  But all that changed the day I saw my son and his best friend with their arms around each other swaying to their future alma mater.
 Friday, October 5th, Barrett had his first official Kindergarten field trip.  He had been looking forward to it for weeks!  They'd been working on their performance since the first week of school and they were so ready. 
They got to perform at the Mortimer Jordan High School Pep Rally.  It was the sweetest, cutest thing I've ever seen.  I've seen many a pep rally in my day.  They announced the Class of 2031 and the cutest group of kiddos came running in.  They did a 6 minute routine (that I would add here if I knew how) then they got to sit in the stands and participate in the rest of the pep rally.  They did all the band chants and they won the spirit competition.  The PE coach had seriously been working with them since the beginning of school.  The high school kids were so sweet and cheered so loud for them.  The kindergarteners really thought they were rockstars.   I honestly had to fight back the ugly cry because it was all just so sweet.  I loved that the school spirit starts young in Blue Devil country.  After the pep rally they went to the park and had a picnic lunch.
I love this community so much already.  I really feel like Barrett is in the best place for him.  His teacher is amazing.  Like seriously amazing.  She came to watch his baseball game (there is another boy in his class on our team so she got to see them both).  I love that her son is also in Kindergarten so she'll get to see this class all the way through to graduation.  His first field trip was one we will never forget.  I know I will blink and he'll be sitting in that gym as a high school student with his arms around his best friends singing the alma mater and I will probably have to fight back the ugly cry again.

No comments: