Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kids at Heart

This is why I love my family.  For Patrick's 30th birthday he wanted to have a Big Wheel Rally.  He and my little brother have been riding them for months now and love it.  I, for one, thought they were crazy.  Then I rode one.  Let me just tell you...it was like I was 4 years old riding my plastic big wheel  down the big hill at the end of Hand Lane again.  I did a few laps by myself then challenged my little brother to a race.  I don't remember if I won or not.  If I did it was because he let me.
{FYI: Shorts and wedge sandals are not proper uniform for Big Wheel racing}

Then the birthday boy challenged us to a siblings race.  So I threw the big wheel over my shoulder and headed to the starting line with my two brothers.  I have to admit it was a lot of fun...we were at the line and
Dad counted 3...2...1 (I took off) Go!

I was peddling as fast as I could and my brothers were neck and neck about 5 big wheel lengths behind me. I started to take the curve into the driveway but it was to late, I was going to fast and starting sliding...across the asphalt...on my side. Thank God they made me put on a helmet. Once I stopped sliding I curled up in a ball because I was afraid they were going to run over me but they were already crossing the finish line when I look up to see everyone running at me to make sure I'm okay. Mom brought the camera!


I've got some pretty bad road rash on my elbow and foot.  This morning my hip and neck are pretty sore.   

Sharing the moment with my brothers was totally priceless.  Sure it hurts and we could have been hurt worse, but we laughed a lot.  My face hurts from smiling!  I know it seems crazy but it seriously made my big brother's night that we all raced.  We had such a blast!
Showing our battle wounds.
Kristen came to celebrate. 
If this photo doesn't scream "One Big Happy Family" I don't know what does!

No comments: