Monday, January 14, 2019

Back to Reality

We're finally back to our routine around here and I have to admit, it feels pretty good.  The kids are back in school.  While I'm not loving the early wake-up, I am enjoying our more structured days.  I just function better in the routine.  Patrick was out of town all last week for a class so I was flying solo for our first week back.  I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was.  I'm used to having the kids by myself often but rarely do I have to do the whole bedtime routine alone that many nights in a row.  We survived and we were all so excited to see Patrick Friday afternoon.

Last week consisted mainly of getting back on track with Keto.  The first few days are always the worst.  I was miserable through Wednesday but I could feel the difference by Thursday and Friday I felt great.  It really is amazing how much better you feel when you cut out the crap.
I saw this meme and I had to save it and post it.  I've never read truer words.  

She has started insisting we take her baby and her carrier with us now.  I kind of love it.  

I managed to read a book.  I really liked this book.  It was getting rave reviews in a group I'm in on facebook but my sister said she only thought it was only ok so I went into it with low expectations.  It was definitely "chick lit" but it was different than your average "boy meets girl, they fall in love, obstacle splits them, then they end up together" story.  It was a page turner and a great way to start off the new year.

Also, I, along with everyone else with a Netflix account, watched "Tidying up with Marie Kondo" last week and suddenly feel the need to tidy my entire house.   So I started with Barrett's dresser and mainly just folded his clothes so we could see all of them.  I cleaned out the things he couldn't wear and I love that now we can see all of his shirts.  

I did my dresser too.  I didn't get rid of enough stuff but I also don't buy and keep a whole lot of things I don't wear.  There are so many areas in this house that I need to purge, I'm hoping I can tackle that this year.

I'm sure you've all seen the aging thing on facebook.  I thought this one was too fun to miss out on.  The first picture was 2006, right before we got engaged.  I'm pretty sure I was wearing zero makeup. I look so youthful and well rested.  My most recent profile picture is actually from a year ago.  I look even worse now, if we're being honest.  There's no telling how much makeup I was wearing that night to cover the fact that I haven't worn sunscreen like I should and I also don't get enough sleep.  But It was a fun look back.  I don't think I've aged badly by any means but I do wish I'd worn more sunscreen over the years.

Afternoon coffee has been my go to "treat" while I'm Keto.  When the weather is nice I like to have it iced, it feels more indulgent that way.  But this day was rainy and cold so I enjoyed it hot.

Sunday we went to Madelyn's birthday party.  It was at a jumpy place and the kids (and adults) had a blast.  AveryAnn was a little unsure at first (like always).  She was also a little intimidated because some of Madelyn's friends from school were there but she eventually warmed up and had a great time.

These two sat in those chairs and ate cake, ice cream, chips and dip for 30 minutes at least, could have been an hour.  They took their sweet time and enjoyed every single bite.  

It was a fun weekend!  We're looking forward to our 3 day weekend next week!

No comments: