Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Proud Wife

2012 has already proved to be a big year for the Horton family.  Patrick has accomplished a few things that have been nagging at him for a few years now.  He finally passed the test to get his journeyman electrician card.  He's taken that test so many times and he finally passed.  He got a new (hopefully) forever job. He finally got a new truck. And this past weekend we celebrated the fact that it had been 365 days since he'd last smoked a cigarette. I really thought it was something he'd never give up. After years of nagging from his mother and myself, I had all but given up hope.  We had a discussion on the way home from the beach last summer that went something like...if you ever want to have kids you have to quit smoking.  I'm not having a baby till you stop smoking.  He set his mind to it.  I didn't nag him or ask him everyday how it was going.  I offered support when I could. He set his mind to it and quit cold turkey.  Within a week he noticed he was actually tasting food. I would say within a  month his snoring was no longer a problem. He seems to be a calmer person too.  I am just so proud of him.  I'm happy that he won't have to leave the hospital room to go smoke when our baby is born.  I'm happy that I won't have to worry about my baby being exposed to 3rd hand smoke everyday, (yes it's a real thing).  Plus, I'm happy because he's healthier and hopefully he'll be around a lot longer!

No comments: