Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Baby

So the stork decided to pay us a visit this Christmas instead of Santa.  I'll start at the beginning. 
I woke up Christmas Eve morning around 8:30 and went to the bathroom (like I do every morning).  After I used the bathroom I stood up and thought I peed on myself.  I thought, "Oh this is nice.  I have to much to do today to be peeing on myself!" It happened over and over again so I finally decided to wake Patrick up.  We were planning on going to my grandmothers for Christmas Eve lunch and it was time for him to get up anyway.  I told him we had a little situation and I wasn't sure what to do.  I explained to him what was happening and he too was convinced that I was just peeing myself.  I called my best friend (and nurse) Lorie and asked her how you knew if your water broke or if you just peed on yourself.  She disagreed with Patrick and I, she thought that my water probably broke and I should call the doctor.  So that's what I did.  I know they thought I was crazy.  All I could think about was the fact that most people's water doesn't break on its on and most first babies are born on or after their due date.  Here we were 36wks 6days and my water broke.  I just couldn't believe it.   We got our bags packed and calmly headed to the doctor.  We called our parents on the way.  Mainly to tell them we wouldn't be participating in any Christmas festivities for the day.  As Lorie said I was in complete denial.
We arrived at the hospital around 10:30 and they immediately determined that my water had broke and that I would be celebrating Christmas in the hospital.  At first we thought they might let me go until the 26th because I wasn't in labor, hadn't had the first contraction but they quickly came back in and said they'd start pitocin at midnight and I'd be having a Christmas baby! 

We spent most of the day Christmas eve hanging out, watching tv, I caught up on blogging, Patrick ran back home to get the things we forgot and we were in constant contact with all our people.  I was so glad that they all went about their plans for the day.  It was nice to have some time just Patrick and I to really process what was about to happen (although I think we were both still in denial.)  Kristen, Lorie, Joseph and Ellie came to visit.  Fun fact I was in the same room that Lorie delivered Ellie in.  The dr. came in around 9:00 and decided to start the pitocin and put in what they call an easy cath to jumpstart the dilation.  That was not fun!  Everyone left not long after that and I was officially in labor.

The night was pretty uneventful.  The contractions started to get painful around midnight and they gave me something but it made me sick.  So I spent the next few hours throwing up. Around 3:00 I was dilated 4 or 5 so they gave me my epidural and I was able to sleep for a little while.  The next time they checked me there was no change.  They started throwing out the idea of a c-section which was not the way I wanted to go but I was ready to hold my baby.  When they checked me around 8:00 I was 7cm so I was making progress.  Since the baby and I were holding up nicely they decided to let me keep going.  I guess it was around 10:00 or 11:00 that I was 9 cm but the baby was face up instead of face down and he had not dropped where they wanted him to be.  The dr. thought I could probably push him where he needed to be so I started pushing.  I felt like I pushed all day, in reality it was about 2 hours.  I had a meltdown at one point in the morning.  I was convinced I was never going to have this baby.  I was upset that I was missing Christmas and I just wanted my baby to be here.

  We were trying to keep everyone updated but towards the end everything started moving kinda fast.  My mom called while I was pushing, Patrick answered told her I was pushing so they jumped in the car and headed to the hospital.  I was so glad they did because it wasn't 20 minutes later that the doctor decided that the baby wasn't low enough for him to safely deliver so I was headed to the OR for a c-section.  Patrick called my parents to tell them and they were almost at the hospital.  At this point I lost it.  I was bawling and shaking.  I was relieved and scared.  I'd never even been in the hospital before now I was having surgery.  There were people in and out of the room getting me ready.  Everyone was so nice.  Then I heard my parents in the hall, they came in to see me and I lost it again.  I felt so bad because I didn't want them to worry, I hated for them to see me so upset but I was so glad I got to see them before they took me back. 
Before I knew it I was in the OR.  The anesthesiologist and his nurse were so great.  I think the first thing I said when they put me on the table was "This looks nothing like Grey's Anatomy!".  They thought that was funny.  Everything they gave me for pain made me sick.  I was throwing up and I heard the Dr. say "good thing we can hit a moving target."  I finally calmed down and it was no time until I heard the baby cry and they lifted him over the drape so we could see.  I also remember the dr. saying something about if we'd gone to full term he'd be a record setting baby and that he looked like his daddy minus the full beard.  They cleaned him up and laid him beside me.  He was so alert and just looked at me.  I was crying and I could hear Patrick crying behind me.  It's a moment I will never forget.  Then they let Patrick hold him.  Our camera wasn't working right, I'm so glad Patrick had his phone so we at least got some pictures that way. 
He looks so big here.

Best moment ever.

Love this one of Patrick.

First family photo!
They let me hold him as we were being wheeled back to our room.  No words can describe the way I felt.
I wanted a family picture in front of the Christmas tree.  We have one of us every year we've been married. Not exactly perfect but it gets the job done!

Ok, I guess I wrap this post up now.  I know it's long, but I wanted the whole birth story in one place.  Having a baby is the most amazing experience.  I've never felt love like this.  The love I have for my son is often times overwhelming.  Watching my husband love our son and the way he's loved me over the past week is also overwhelming.  We are so in love!

1 comment:

DaisyGirl said...

Congratulations!! These pictures of y'all are priceless. You can read so much in your facial expressions! Happy New Years to the little family!