Monday, December 24, 2012

5th Annual Gingerbread House Competition

Friday night we kicked off our fun old fashioned family Christmas with our annual gingerbread house competition.  You can read about years past here.  I'm not going to lie, I think we all peaked last year.  We were all excited to build our houses this year but it seemed that no one really prepared like they did last year.  Which resulted in us sitting at the table for what seemed like hours with no real progress.  We laughed a lot though and I guess that's all that really matters.  The kids had a ball and they did a great job this year.
 
This is the winner of the kids division.  Drew did a great job.  I'm not sure how many more years they're going to let him compete in the children's category.  I was excited for him to win! 

Porter built a hunting lodge complete with a duck blind and several dead ducks ( the m&ms).  At one point he did run up to my mom and demand that he needed her help building a garage with a four-wheeler and trailer.  Notice that didn't get built!  Mom said she wasn't a miracle worker.

I loved Ava's redneck house.  She did such a good job both building and decorating hers.  Most people excel at one or the other. 
Harper's princess castle should really have been in the adult category because I'm pretty sure all she did was add the blue sixlets.  Mom did pretty much all the rest of the work. 


Now to the adult category.
My big brother Patrick's interpretation of the economy.  He's so witty!

Leslie went the religious route with her gummy bear nativity.

John, oh John.  He had a great house but did not do one bit of decorating.  I think he could have won it with a strand or two of lights.

This was mine.  Not my best work.  This is what happens when I have no plan. I really have no words.
 
Hope's was the winner and rightfully so.  She did a great job with construction and decoration. 

Elizabeth came with a plan.  This is Denny Chimes.

And Clay's house.  I can' t remember the name of the house but it is a replica of a house close to where they live in Atlanta.  I'll have to ask him and update this later.

The whole neighborhood. 
 
Even though it wasn't our best work we all still had a lot of fun. 

No comments: