Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Murder in Margaritaland: A Surprise 30th Birthday Party

First of all, I have the best husband, friends and family.  I've been saying for probably over a year now that I wanted a surprise 30th birthday party.  I knew there was no way anyone would pull it off because I'd been talking about it for so long and why would they even bother.  Boy was I wrong!  Not only did they pull it off, but it was absolutely perfect.  It's exactly what I wanted and I felt so loved all night long that so many people would go to so much trouble for me.  I was literally speechless when I realized what was going on.
To top it off it was a murder mystery party.  I've been wanting to throw another one of these since we did one for my sisters 21st birthday.  They are so much fun and a great way for guests to mingle. 
I'll start at the beginning.  Earlier in the year Jessica's husband won a party catered by Hamburger Heaven.  We've been calling it the "Hamburger party" and decided we would have it this summer by the pool and it'd be a blast.  Well about 3 weeks ago Jessica called me and said Jeremy called and booked the hamburger party for July 11th and he wanted it to be adults only so we could relax and hang out and not have to cook.  We hadn't talked about it much but somewhere in the mean time I started planning my own birthday party at the lake the weekend before my actual birthday.  Everyone played along.  I started sending inspiration photos to Jessica and Brittany and they immediately said they would help.  So I kind of turned it over to them.  Fast forward to Saturday night, we're getting ready and Patrick keeps asking what I'm wearing.  Again I should have thought this was kind of odd.  And when I asked if I looked okay like I always do before we leave he actually looked before he said yes you look beautiful.  Most of the time he just says that without looking.  We were dropping Barrett off at his parents house and Patrick packed his bag and got him ready.  Also another red flag, I should have been more suspicious of Patrick being so aware of what time it was and what time we were supposed to be there.  He's usually a "we'll get there when we get there type person".  We dropped Barrett off and headed to Jessica and Jeremy's house for the "hamburger party".  Patrick said Jeremy called and said we need to go through the front door because he's treated his sidewalk with something and we can't walk on it.  (I'm an idiot.)  We pull in the drive way and I start fussing at how Patrick parked because no one else is going to be able to park in the driveway.  So we go to the front door and ring the doorbell.  Jessica answers and says "there's so much food, you're going to love it."  Which looking back is hilarious and I thought nothing of it. 
I opened the back door to 30 of my closest friends and family and was so confused at first.  I couldn't figure out why all these people were at the "hamburger party".  Then they were all dressed up in character for the murder mystery.  I quickly realized what was going on and was speechless.  I just couldn't believe they surprised me.  I was so surprised that I thought Patrick had no idea either.  I can't believe he kept quiet. 
Everyone was sweaty and hot and amazing for hanging out in the heat.  I'm still just blown away.

They had all my favorite foods.  Like this french fry bar.  
With John and Hope! 
I've got to gather all the pictures everyone took.  
And if you've never been to a murder mystery party you should throw one because they are so much fun!  They're a lot of work.  It takes a lot of pre planning and there's paper work that goes with each character but it's so worth it.  It's just something fun and different.  They have several different versions & themes.  They have teen versions and all girl versions too. 

I am so thankful for everyone that took time out of their busy schedules to help and celebrate with me.  It was so special and it meant the world to me. 

No comments: