Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 11...

You can't say that date and not think about 2001. I remember very vividly sitting in Mrs. Paschal's class and Dr. Vacca announcing over the intercom that there had been an apparent terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York City. I was sixteen years old and very quickly I learned how serious this matter was. We watched it all day long. I was so glued to the tv. I watched the news for the first time. It seemed so unreal that this was happening in our country. I remember the feeling of patriotism that followed the attacks. I loved seeing the flags flying and you felt a sense of pride when the National Anthem was sung. It's sad that it took an attack to bring people together...and look how quickly that sense of pride died. I remember last year I was taking my niece to pre-school thinking that this is something that she will be taught in history class. Wondering how it will be presented...will the books relay the sense of pride that the nation felt or will it simply be another day in history? Here are just a few reminders of that day.

No comments: