Sunday, September 22, 2013

Barrett's First Beach Trip

So it's been awhile since I last posted.  I usually try to blog our days while we're on vacation but this trip I decided to leave my computer at home.  I tried not to stress myself out worrying about taking pictures and remembering every single detail.  It was our first vacation as a family of 3.  It will always be the first trip we took with our son.  We stayed at the same place my family has stayed forever.  Literally forever.  
There have been moments that I couldn't wait to share with my children, even before there were children.  Simple things that I'd either grown up doing or were special to me at some point in my life.  I've already gotten to do several of these things with Barrett. Taking him to church, to the lake, going to my grandparents, holidays and family vacations, mainly going to Panama City Beach.  It's where we went as a family of 6 every spring break.  My parents went before we were born.  It was so surreal reliving all those family memories while building our own.
We headed out Friday the 13th.  We were at the gas station about a mile from our house when Patrick realized he didn't pack a swim suit so we had to go back home. Clearly we were off to a great start.  I wanted to leave around 9:30 because that is what time Barrett usually goes down for a nap.  We were right on time and Barrett went right to sleep.  He slept the first almost 2 hours until we got pulled over for speeding in a construction zone.  Luckily the cop let us go with a warning but Barrett was wide awake and it wasn't time for him to eat again.  He actually traveled really well.  We stopped for lunch and fed him he went right back to sleep in the car and slept most of the way.  When he got fussy we let him watch some Mickey Mouse on the ipad.  It took us about 5.5 hours and that includes the stop for lunch.  I might have failed to mention to Patrick that our room was on the 4th floor and there wasn't an elevator (It was only three levels up since the first floor is on the beach.)  He was less than thrilled we he realized he had to carry all this crap we brought up to our room.  He quickly understood my dad's "You can only pack what you can carry" rule.  After we got the important stuff unpacked we took a little break to introduce Barrett to the beach.




Not a fan of the water.



Not a fan of the sand either.

As you can see the sunset was beautiful.  We sat out on the balcony and had dinner.
I have so many pictures to share I'm going to break this up into a few posts.  I think I'll wrap up the first one here.

No comments: