Monday, February 11, 2019

Mercedes Kids Marathon Weekend

The first month of school a note went home recruiting students to run the Mercedes Kids Marathon.  Barrett wasn't exactly thrilled about it but I told him he was going to be running the miles in PE at school anyway so he might as well sign up and get to do the fun last mile on the course.  He decided he wanted to do it so I got him registered.  He got his race pack a few weeks ago and that got him really excited!  Saturday was finally race day.  It was cold, so we all got bundled up and headed to railroad park for him to run the last mile with his friends and classmates.  
The kindergarteners from Barrett's school!

The kindergarteners were the last age group to start so we had a good bit of waiting time before it was their turn.  Finally, it was time for them to head to the start.  I walked with them to the start while Patrick, AveryAnn and my dad went to stake out a spot at the finish line.  I got a little nervous when he was walking through the start chute because he wasn't really with any of his friends, he was kind of alone so I had a moment of panic that he was going to get out on the course and get upset.  I saw them start and then headed to meet everyone else at the finish.  It was so exciting to watch all the first graders finish and finally the kindergarteners started coming through.  I started getting teary eyed watching these little 5 & 6 year olds run across the finish line.  They were so happy and so proud and it was just the sweetest thing.  They said the kids names as they ran across the finish line and you could feel the pride.  I heard Barrett's name before I saw him but when I did I couldn't stop smiling.  I had tears running down my face.

  I was so stinking proud of him.  Then he ran right past Aubie to give Big Al a big hug.  I loved it so much. After he finished I was practically running to the corral to pick him up.  I couldn't wait to hug him.  He came running out of the gate and was so excited about his medal!  He had the biggest grin on his face.  We both couldn't stop smiling.




His school wore Santa hats so they'd be easier to spot on the course.
I really didn't think this would be such a big deal, (and maybe it wasn't to some) but seeing him cross that finish line was so special.  You could feel how proud he was crossing that finish line.  It made my mama heart nearly burst.  He's already talking about next years run, he can't wait.  Neither can I.  I'm so inspired by him that it makes me want to run my own race.  

No comments: