Saturday, July 27, 2013

28


Today I turned 28 years old.  Really? 28?  I don't feel old enough to be 28.  I think in my mind I will perpetually be 24.  I don't know why but 24 is the number that always comes to mind when someone asks me my age.  This has been a big year for me.  I've done things that I knew I wanted to do but wasn't sure I was strong enough.  In some ways I feel like life really began this year with the birth of Barrett.  It's so true that a baby changes everything.  I've had a really great weekend.  My boss and I share a birthday week so we had ice cream cake Friday to celebrate.  Then at book club we had more ice cream cake. 
Those girls were so sweet to remember my birthday!  (Which, I've been a book club slacker.  I've not read the last two books and I really wanted too, I just didn't.  It's my goal to catch up before we take a break for the holidays)  Today Patrick, Barrett and I went to Tuscaloosa for the day {separate post coming}. 
If you've been around here a while you know that I try to set goals on my birthday each year (kinda like a New Year resolution but for my birthday year.)
You can read last years goals here.  I kept it simple last year because I really didn't know how life would change. 
This years goals.
  • Let go a little.  I've been so worried about meeting other peoples expectations that I spread myself to thin sometimes and it puts a strain on me and my little family.  I don't want them to suffer because I'm afraid to disappoint someone.  It's okay to miss a tea or book club if I need to be with my family and recharge.  It's also okay if Barrett and I don't have an outfit to match every holiday. 
  • I also want to do little things for others.  (which kinda contradicts the first statement but hear men out.)  Simple things like sending a birthday card in the mail.
  • I want to soak up every little moment with my baby boy.  By my next birthday he'll be 18 months old. (and I'll be 29 ouch)
  • Spend weekly quality time with Patrick.  In the new chaos of like he's kinda been pushed to the back burner.  I want to make him feel special too.  Even if it's just letting him run the remote sometimes and not complaining about what he chooses.  (which is really hard for me)
  • Get on a good cleaning schedule so I don't feel like my house is always dirty and I'm always cleaning.  
Hopefully I can work on these things and simplify and enjoy life.  Even if it is chaos most of the time.


No comments: