Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Iron Bowl Friday

Well you've probably heard by now that my team lost. Boo!  It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times.  Our day started pretty early around 7:00!  The plan was to leave the house around 9:30 so we could be in line with the gates to the student section opened.  That didn't exactly happen.  It was so hard to leave the house since all of our tailgaters were just arriving, but we had to.  I packed up my gallon of margaritas and my plate of chicken fingers and headed out the door.  (Yes I took a gallon Ziploc bag full of margaritas into the game.  We were going to be there 3 hours before kickoff.  How you might wonder?  I had Amy duct tape the bag to my undershirt on my back, under my coat you couldn't tell at all!)  We thought the gates opened at 10:00...they didn't open until 10:30 so we stood with he mob of people patiently waiting to enter the stadium.  We finally got in and Coach Saban came out to walk the field.  The entire lower student section was almost full!  Next the Auburn team came out to do their walk through.  They were pumped they came out full of energy jumping around...then over the loud speaker in Bryant-Denny Stadium I heard Steve Miller Band's Take the Money and Run.  I have never laughed so hard.  All the students joined in a sang their hearts out.  The next song was Son of a Preacher Man.  You could tell the Aubs weren't expecting this at all.  They quickly calmed down and weren't near enthusiastic as they were.  (Let me add that I wasn't exactly proud that my University had stooped to this level but I did find it very funny! Come to find out the music selection was not approved and a kid lost his job because of it.  Totally worth it in my opinion!)
It was finally game time.  I was so nervous and excited!  We got the ball first and came out strong.  We scored touchdowns on our first three possessions.  We were all smiles at this point.  I was trying not to get to excited but I'd be lying if I said I didn't!  Auburn finally scored in the second quarter.  We went into halftime  up 21-7! We were feeling good.  It was all downhill from there for the Tide!  I've blocked out a lot of the second half but it mostly included Auburn scoring and Alabama not.  I was heartbroken.  I went into this game knowing we could beat Auburn but not expecting to win.  When we came out as strong as we did it looked like our team from last year.  Our offense was clicking and or defense was strong.  This gave me hope.  The worst part was hearing Rammer Jammer being sung to us...actually it makes me sad for Auburn that they don't have their own cheer to celebrate a victory.  I walked back to the house by myself.  I felt better once I got to the house and vented with the rest of them.  After most of our tailgater friends were gone we had an impromptu dance party.  Nothing helps me burn off some steam quite like dancing!  It was a blast.  It was mainly just my parents, me and my little brother doing all the dancing but we had a ball! Around 11:00 we packed up the tailgate for the season and headed back to Gardendale. 
Final Score...
Alabama 27- Auburn 28

We finally got a shot of us outside the stadium. 

The guy behind me had the awesome gloves Mark Ingram wore in the National Championship game.  So I had to ask him if I got borrow them for a picture doing the pose. 
Me and my gallon of margaritas. That was probably one of the best decisions I made all day!

I can't believe football season is over.  I know we still have a bowl game but that won't be for a month or so.  I'm sad it's over.  I'm still proud of our team.  I know this is not the results we were expecting for the season but I'm still proud!  I miss going down there every few weeks.  I am planning on taking Ava to a gymnastics meet in the spring so I can ge tmy Ttown fix for a while!

No comments: