Tuesday, August 9, 2011

There's nothing like Gameday in T-Town

*I originally wrote this in 2009 as we were embarking on what would be a National Championship season.  It still sums up my feelings toward my team! I hope you enjoy!*


It's a crisp, fall Thursday morning as I walk to class I can't help but hear the coaches show playing over the loud speaker at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Granted this was 6 years ago and the coach was Mike Shula as he was embarking on his first season with the Tide. The season opener was Oklahoma, ESPN Gameday was set up on the quad, and my aunt, uncle and cousin took me to the original Dreamland for a slab of ribs. Life was good. This is how I will always remember my first UA gameday as an official student.

Alabama football has always been a Saturday tradition in our home. My brother's played little league football and my sister and I cheered. I can remember driving to and from the park listening to Eli Gold on the radio. I can remember him describing the ball flying through the air "end over end" and being able to actually picture it (as I had never been to an actual game before). We would rush home in the hope of catching the end on TV. My parents would jump up and down and scream and yell at the TV. I can remember thinking they had to be crazy. I remember my very first Alabama game. My cousin was in school and we went to his apartment that was right behind the stadium. It was so cold and it rained the entire time. We lost and it was miserable! I can remember my second game. I was a senior in high school and we were playing Georgia. This time it was miserably hot! We lost in the last seconds. Maybe you're noticing a trend! I didn't let that get me down!
I tailgated for 5 seasons as a student and there was nothing like it. Waking up (sometimes never actually going to sleep) on Saturday mornings just waiting for the early birds to arrive. They all filed in with their covered dish to correspond with this weeks theme. We would start the day with Gameday on ESPN of course...then watch all the football we could till it was time to head to the stadium. As the game ended and the crowd scattered, our crew always gathered round the bar to eat leftovers and rehash the events of the game. It's a routine that I'll never forget.
The most awesome tailgate house ever! This is where I tailgated (and lived) for 3 years!
Now that I'm an alumni I still go down and I see that same anticipation on my sister and brothers faces when we come thru the door. They are so excited to us and us them.
My brother, sister and cousin last season! They are roommates!
We have a group of about 25-30 people that tailgate with us every week. We have a theme every week and everyone brings a corresponding dish. The first week is usually a traditional tailgate with burgers, ribs, and hot dogs. My favorite is usually the cajun theme. We gather up our chairs outside and watch all the people . We love to inform each other on what all we've heard about the team and make our predictions. Sometimes we walk up to the strip to see what's happening, sometimes we don't! It is so much fun to see how excited everyone is!

This is most of the tailgate crew at the end of the 2006 season. That was the last tailgate at that house
My husband on the other hand is a die hard Auburn fan. I know it's tragic! We are a very serious house divided. He used to come down every weekend to tailgate wearing his Jason Campbell Auburn jersey but it was only to see me! So hopefully I can begin to convert him without him really knowing it! (I"m thinking any attempts to convert this man now are a lost cause)  I mean he did marry into a family where 10 of the 12 grandchildren either graduated from or are currently attending the University of Alabama!
Just for a little reminder!
This is Ally Bama! She wanted to get her picture made on the quad!
 
Here's a list of some of my favortie tailgate posts. 

10 comments:

j said...

YAY! A wonderful Crimson Tide loving post (I am in LOVE with space under the bar and I'm eyeing my own counter as we speak. Hmmm, I think I need rolls of white paper to put under there :)

Ally Bama is the cutest baby girl that I've seen today.

ROLL TIDE!!

Rachel said...

Great post!!

You never know - you may be able to convert him! My Sister In Law was a serious Auburn fan, but she switched to Alabama not long after she started dating my brother (and subsequently transferred from Auburn to Alabama!!).

Good luck with that!

Roll Tide!

KBeau said...

If you're in Tuscaloosa on Sept. 26, be sure to come by out tailgate party.

Bridgette said...

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Brandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi said...

Roll Tide Roll. I just saw that your from Morris I am from Gardendale. How funny.

Heather said...

All I can say is at least you have a good looking field behind you!! :) What I would have given to have been at CommonWealth stadium, even if you guys did beat us.

Mama SeWELL said...

Love readin you Tide post. Im a UF fan being from FL & my Pop is a UF Ag. alumni. His entire family is from Aliceville, so we are also Tide fans...unless they are playing the Gators :-)
Im headin to Carrollton, AL this Sunday w/ my family for a week visting family. Half the family up there are Tide fans, & half are Tigers. T-town is for sure a fun place to be on game day though!!

Laura said...

Roll Tide!! Beat Ole Miss!

Kelly said...

I love this post!!!! Especially that awesome score board picture...RTR!!!! Can't wait for the season to start:)