Friday, January 22, 2021

Christmas

 Christmas 2020 looked different for us, just like most people.  We still enjoyed many of the same traditions but it just all felt so different.  First of all, last year we gifted the kids a tip to Disney World and were busy planning and looking forward to that.  We were excited to see what Santa brought this year and knew the kids would be excited but I was a little sad we didn't have a fun trip to look forward to.
Christmas Eve we usually go to my Grandmother's house for lunch but she now lives in the apartment at my parents house so we cancelled Christmas Eve because we would see her Christmas Day.  So we had all day Christmas Eve to be at home and just relax.  

We got ready and went to Mass at 4:30.   After Mass we went to my parents house to visit a bit before we headed home to get ready for Santa.

We somehow ran out of time to bake cookies for Santa so we left him candy canes instead. 
We hugged Mr Elf goodbye.  
It proved to be a little more dramatic than I was anticipating.  She was distraught that Mr. Elf had to leave.  I was not expecting this reaction.  
Last picture as a 7 year old.

The kids were wired and I didn't think they'd ever go to sleep.  I was up washing bottles in the kitchen and I turned around and Barrett was standing in the kitchen.  Santa had already come and left their gifts in the living room. I was a little upset because I knew he'd probably already seen them.  When Patrick came in the kitchen he led Barrett back to his room to go back to sleep.  At one point both big kids were in our bed and Patrick got mad and got up and went to Barrett's bed.  I knew it was going to be a long day.
This is a terrible picture of all the goodies Santa left.  Barrett got a nintendo switch (the only thing he asked for), AveryAnn got a jeep and Adler got a glow worm.  They all were apparently very good this year.

She has a nicer car than me.  I'm not jealous at all.

This is my favorite mug.

Matching jammies on her first christmas.
13th annual Christmas morning pj picture.  

I love this one so much.  This year has been so wild but it has been so joyful.


The big kids wanted her to enjoy all of her gifts.

After we opened all of our gifts at home we headed to my parents house for brunch.  I didn't take a single picture of the Christmas mess there.  I can't believe I didn't get one picture.  The kids had a blast.  We had a big fire in the fireplace.  We gifted everyone tickets to go to the Glow Wild lantern festival at the zoo the week after Christmas.  It was similar to what we saw in Huntsville a couple of years ago and we knew everyone would enjoy it.  After brunch we headed downstairs to my grandmother's house for lunch.  This year is so different with her and my aunt in the basement but it's been really nice to get to spend so much time with them.  After lunch we headed back upstairs for Barrett's birthday. 
I can not believe he is 8 years old.  It just really doesn't seem possible.

For dinner we headed to the Hortons.
The only picture I took there.  We had a wonderful meal and enjoyed our time with them as well this year.  
It wasn't the same.  My sister and her husband didn't get to come to my parents and Patrick's brother and his family didn't get to come to his parents all because of COVID.  But we made the most of it.  I could easily be sad or bitter thinking of all the things COVID has taken from us this year, but I'm trying my best to choose JOY.

No comments: