Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Yankee Doodle Dandy

I love fourth of July weekend.  It's always been one of my favorite times of year.  Maybe it's all the patriotism, maybe it's the fact that it kicks off my birthday month, either way I look forward to this weekend every year. 
We headed up to the lake for the long weekend.  Let me start by saying that I have a tendency to get so excited about things and build up expectations that no one can achieve.  I've been getting better about this especially when it comes to family events and the lake.  I get so excited about the possibilities of the weekend that I tend to forget the fact that the house doesn't have air and it's 90 degrees in July (at the coolest).  I forget that there are 25 people in the "family" that will be there on any given holiday and there are beds for approximately 16 people.  I forget that there is only one bathroom for the 25 people.  I can't recall the fact that Ally is never the only dog, in fact there were 8 dogs this weekend (three of which did not get along at all). 
So yeah it can get a little bit overwhelming at times.  But floating on a raft in the water and sitting on the deck in the shade somehow make you forget all those things.  I love that we can take the boat out and all cram on the tube like were are 10 years old and laugh till we cry. It's these things that make me giddy with excitement when summer rolls around.


Ally was snuggling with Patrick before we left Saturday morning.




Dad and Harper
 

Ava, Me and Drew riding the new tube.  I didn't take my camera out on the next trip.  That trip my little brother John, his girlfriend Hope, my cousin Mark and me all rode it together.  We could barely hold on for laughing. I know we could have gotten some great shots.  Oh well you live and learn I guess.

John playing the part of "Beverage Boy"




John and Jeremy serenading us during the thunderstorm


Dad shining the spotlight for the concert.


All in all it was a pretty good trip.  Now at 3:30 Sunday morning when I couldn't get to sleep because it was 87 degrees in my "room" I was wishing i'd just stayed home, or at least driven my own car!  As I was getting ready for bed Saturday a dog peed on me.  Not a little dog that was scared but a big lab that walked right up to me lifted his leg and peed.  It's funny now but at the time I was shocked.  Not long after I cleaned up my leg from that incident my mom cam to make sure I didn't need anything and moved the box fan so that it would be blowing on me.  Well the fan was probably made in the 50's and when she moved it the plug arced and filled the room with smoke.  Needless to say, we retired that fan. 
I'm glad I can look back on these things and laugh because at the time I just wanted to cry. 

1 comment:

Terri Jo said...

Oh my gosh! That's hilarious! What a weekend you had!