Saturday, April 11, 2015

Early Intervention: Yearly Evaluation

(I just want to start by saying that the Lord has been showing out this week in the answered prayers department.  This is just one of many prayers that were answered this week.  I'm blown away and humbled by His faithfulness.  We are blessed beyond anything we could imagine or deserve.)
I know I just posted a little update but I wanted to post this update as well.  It was a year ago that we started this journey.  We had Barrett's annual evaluation yesterday and it went great.  They came to our home this time and Barrett was in his element.  He really showed out.  I'm so proud of that little booger.  The speech therapist was showing him pictures in a book for him to label.  He did great.  He labeled everything, he even said "scissors".  I'd never heard him say that and didn't know he knew what they were.  Needless to say we were impressed.  I knew there was a chance that he would test out of the program.  I didn't think that he would so I wasn't prepared at all when they all said he no longer qualified in any areas.  I knew he'd be fine in everything but communication.  I really thought he'd still qualify in communication.  He's made so much progress but he's still a little behind.  A 25% delay would have him on a 20 month old level at 27 months.  He scored at a 21 month old level.  So he was close to qualifying again.  When he was evaluated last year his communication was on the level of a 5-7 month old.  He was 15 months old.  We had no idea he was that delayed.  So we are so happy with the progress he's made.  A year ago he made no sounds other than crying and he really didn't even do that too often.  He made no efforts to communicate.  Today he "talks" all the time.  We understand about 50% of what he says.  But he's learning new words every day.  Our speech therapist recommended we continue to practice what they've taught us and if he's not continued to improve, in June seek private speech therapy.  So that's what we're going to do.  I'm so happy that he's made progress but I'm going to miss seeing these sweet ladies every month.  They have probably helped me as much or more than they've helped him.  When he hit that age where he just wasn't eating, they both were like "totally normal, he'll eat when he's hungry, don't sweat it." they were right.  When he started throwing fits, they both assured me that not only was it normal, it was actually a good thing developmentally.  It's been nice to have an outside voice to assure us that we are doing a good job.
We're going to miss Ms. Amy and Ms. Tamara. 
I guess I'll quit rambling now.  I've been blown away by everyone's support over the last year.  I've heard from mom's that have been down the same road and it was always so encouraging. 
" He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others.  When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us."
 2 Corinthians 1:4
This has become one of my favorite verses this year.  It is so true.  I've had the opportunity to talk to a few moms that are starting this journey and I have loved being able to hopefully encourage them. 
I took this picture after he went to bed.  I went in just to watch him sleep. I'm so proud of him.  I just felt overwhelmed by God's grace.  We are so blessed and I never want to take that for granted.

No comments: