Monday, September 14, 2020

First Day(s) of School

We've had our first days of school over the last week.  They have looked different that past years but we're thankful for a tiny bit of normalcy after the last almost 6 months of crazy.   

AveryAnn could not wait to go to school.  She has missed her friends and her teachers so much.  She started August 24th and had the best day!

She picked out her dress and insisted on two braids for her hairstyle.

This is her last year before big school.  I can hardly believe how quickly the years have passed with this one.  She is such a joy and keeps us all laughing.  She is honest to a fault (I have no idea where she gets that from).
Barrett insisted on having his picture made too even though he didn't start for another week.

He did have drive thru supply pick up and meet the teacher.  His teacher is new to our school this year but she is the sweetest.   He got a chromebook and the supplies we ordered and everything he needed to start remotely this nine weeks. We also go our "Blue Devil Strong" yard sign to show our school spirit! The kids were so happy!

Finally, it was his turn for his first day of second grade.  He was excited about remote learning and our teacher had us all very prepared.  He'd charged his chromebook the night before and he was ready.

Patrick was home this day.  PTA took breakfast to all the local schools for the teachers and it wasn't ready when I arrived to pick it up so I was later than I'd planned getting back home so Patrick took AveryAnn to school.  We had a few minutes when they got back home before we had to log in.
I'll be honest, I was a little nervous about how all the programs would hold up and how the remote learning would go.  It has been an amazing experience for us.  Barrett has really enjoyed it.  I've enjoyed getting to kind of spy on his classroom and get to see him interact with other kids and his teacher.  His confidence in the technology has increased everyday and I know that will only benefit him in the long run.  He's excited to go back to school.  But this time has been really sweet and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss.

Our school is letting the kids come in small groups on Thursdays or Fridays in small groups for testing.  Barrett was the only one in his group the day he got to go.  After that day he's been really excited to go back to school.  His sweet teacher sent me his picture.  I hate he had to wear a mask but I'm thankful he got to go and he loved it.  We get to go back two days a week in a couple of weeks and then hopefully 5 days a week two weeks after that.  I should have one whole week with both kids in school before the baby comes. Fingers Crossed!


No comments: