Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blessed.

I've been avoiding this post all day.  I want to record this day in my journal but part of me knows there's no need.  Wednesday, April 27, 2011 is a day I'll never forget like so many Alabamians. 
This is what we watched live Wednesday afternoon.  There are no words to describe the feelings.  We watched people's lives be ripped right out from under them.  It was surreal, like watching a movie.  Except we knew people in the path.  My sister and cousin live about 4 blocks from where the storm hit.  Thankfully my cousin had gone to a friends basement and my sister had fled to Birmingham but we hadn't been able to get in touch with her until the storm hit.  We didn't know that she wasn't in Tuscaloosa.  I will never forget the sound of my mom's voice when she called me to tell me that my sister was safe.  (I know this all sounds really dramatic but I don't know how else to describe it.  It was dramatic.)  Our house was untouched.  Luckily it didn't take long to get in touch with everyone.  Then the storm was headed for us in Birmingham.  It hit about 5 miles south in Fultondale.  We are so lucky, blessed.  There were so many other areas and families affected.  These are the areas close to me and my heart.  As of tonight the death toll stands at 238 in the great state of Alabama, 45 in Tuscaloosa, 8 of those confirmed students. 
I am so thankful for everyone who has blogged, facebooked, texted, tweeted and prayed for the tornado victims across the south especially Alabama. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and keep it comin' these people are going to need us not just now but for weeks and months. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitely been praying - glad y'all are sage!