Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sweet Surprise

First of all, thank you for your prayers on my last post.  We attended the visitation and funeral all Sunday afternoon.  It was a beautiful service honoring an amazing man. It's one of those things we'll never understand, all I could think Sunday was how unfair all of this was.  Just another cold hearted reminder life isn't fair. 

Then, as if we needed yet another reminder of how unfair life is, I was jolted out of bed around 3:00am Monday morning to my weather radio app and the tornado siren.  We'd been warned all day Sunday that there was a risk for severe weather so before bed I packed a little bag to take to the basement with me.  (I didn't want to actually get dressed unless I knew it was headed for us and I didn't want to be caught in a storm without a bra and tennis shoes)  I also take my wallet (id and insurance cards) camera and I put Ally's leash in the bag.  Call me crazy but for some reason I feel like if I'm prepared nothing will happen.  I know it's completely irrational but it's how my mind works. 

Luckily, we were never in the path but for a while we were in the polygon.  Areas not far from us suffered tremendous damage.  There were two deaths and hundreds of homes damaged or completely lost.  I just kept thinking how can this be happening again right here.  I will say this we have amazing weather teams.  We were warned all day on Sunday to be "Weather Alert" they were on the air all night long.  Where I am had a 30-40 minute window to get to our safe place.  They were predicting the path right down to street names. 

Needless to say, I was worthless come Monday morning.  I was drained from Sunday, is it just me or are funerals exhausting?  Then being up way to long with the weather but I am so thankful that we were spared and safe.  My heart breaks for those affected.  (There was a story on the local news here about a couple that lost everything April 27th, they moved to another part of town and they were hit again this time. So sad)

Tonight I got a call from Lorie and she needed a babysitter for a few hours.  It was just what my soul needed.  Ellie was so happy when she got here, we were talking to Patrick while he was getting ready for work and she just laughed and laughed at him.  It was the cutest thing.  After he left she napped for a bit.  Ally was not a happy camper.  She was so jealous.  I know I need to start setting some boundaries (okay I realize I should have started this about 3 years ago but I didn't, better late than never right?).  She is so sweet and not aggressive at all, its the barking a licking I can't stand.  She wants to lick everyone and everything.  When you don't give her the attention she thinks she deserves she barks and whines until you do.  I don't know how to fix it.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Anyways back to the baby..I loved getting to keep the little angel for a little while, isn't it amazing how a little baby smile and giggle can make you instantly feel better!
(If you've made it this far here's a couple pictures for your reward.)





Can you see Ally's evil eye? Bless her heart.


No comments: