Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Wednesday Weigh-In

Well folks, it's time.  I'm bringing back Wednesday Weigh-In.  Not because I'm super eager to let you all know how much I currently weigh.  {Spoiler alert:  It's a lot more than I'd like.}  But because I need some where to record my progress.  When I did this way back in 2010, I was very successful.  I've loved having it as a record to go back and read.  Things are a lot different this time around.  The biggest difference is I now have two kids to feed along with my husband.  In 2010, Patrick was working night shift and if I didn't feel like eating I just didn't eat dinner.  He could fend for himself.  This time those two kiddos demand a meal every evening.  They also like snacks. Snacks that, in the past, I would have avoided keeping in my house because I don't enjoy being mocked by them when I open the pantry.  Also I don't have as much freedom when it comes to working out.  I really hope to get back in the habit of sweating every day.  Even if its doing some sort of work out video in my living room.
I have a million reasons for wanting to do this.  I want to look better, I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my number one reason.  (I'm not trying to be a size two, I just want to be comfortable.)  I also want to be able to wear my wedding band and engagement ring again without having it sized.  I want to wear real jeans, not the maternity jeans that I've been wearing for 2 years.  I want to sit in the floor and play with my kids and not struggle to get up.  I want to wear a swim suit and not want to hide. (I'm not sure this will ever happen, Is anyone ever really comfortable in a swimsuit?)  I want to eat better and feed my family better.  I want them to enjoy healthy foods.  I want to take care of this body.  It's the only one I'm going to get and I'm not getting any younger. 
One of my best friends asked me to start the Keto diet with her back in April.  I didn't.  I should have.  She's been very successful, so I'm jumping on the bandwagon.  I feel like it's something I can do.  I can make small modifications to meals I'm already feeding my family to stay within the guidelines.  I can eat out, it just takes a little planning.  The biggest hurdles for me are going to be sweets, sweets and alcohol.  I like to have a drink, especially on a hot summer night. So on Thursday, June 15th, I decided Friday was the day.  I was jumping in.  Head first.  I'd done minimal research.  I relied heavily on my friend and her two months worth of knowledge and went for it!
Starting weight.  185.6lbs.
I also took my measurements so I can track my progress that way as well.
Waist: 41"
Chest: 47"
Hips: 44"

***********************************************
I intended to post that on Friday when I started the diet.  I never got around to it so I'm posting it today with my first official Wednesday Weigh-In.
So far the Keto diet isn't terrible.  I'm not hungry.  The worst part is the sweets.  I haven't missed bread or pasta.  I miss sweets.  I'm also painfully aware how often I indulge in sweet treats.  On Friday, day 1, we stopped to get donuts.  I was ok with that.  I didn't really miss getting a donut.  For lunch I had a grilled chicken club from Chick-Fil-a without the bun and a side salad with ranch.  It was good.  I didn't miss the bun.  I kind of missed the fries.  When we got home, Barrett's monthly cookie delivery had arrived.  That made me angry.  I wanted one.  Badly.  I resisted though.  We went to the movie in the park that night and the kids had popcorn and cheese curls.  I got a cup of ice so I'd have something to crunch on.  I didn't miss the snacks.  The next day was rough.  We were home most of the day and I just wanted to eat, mostly junk.  I resisted.  Sunday, we went to lunch at my parents house and I did good.  I really wanted cake but managed to distract myself and it didn't bother me too much.  Dinner was worse.  We had chicken alfredo.  I was able to eat the chicken over a salad and it was delicious.  I didn't miss the pasta or bread at all really.  However, when the 4 desserts came to the table I wanted to stuff my face.  They all looked amazing.  We usually sit around the table and talk most of the time while we're there so it was basically torture for most of the night.  But I resisted and didn't cheat.  I was so proud.  Sunday has by far been the worst day.  I'm not entirely convinced this is the diet for me but I'm going to stick with it until we go to the beach.  I may decide to go a different route when we return but I may not.  We'll see.
My ketone test strips finally arrived Tuesday and I tested positive for ketones which means I'm officially in ketosis.  I suspect I would have tested positive Monday too but I'll never know.
Well, that's a little disappointing.  I felt like I was seeing results in my body and I fully expected to the scale to reflect that.  It did not.  Only down 0.8lbs.  :(  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.  Everything I've read people reported big numbers that first week.  I keep telling myself it hasn't been a full week yet for me and I've already lost about 20lbs from my highest weight this year.  So I've probably already lost that initial big loss (I don't know if that makes any sense).   I'm going to try to drink more water ( I don't think I'm drinking nearly enough daily) and watch my protein.  They say if you get too much protein and not enough fat you won't lose as steadily. 
I was a little surprised by this weeks measurements. 
Waist: 39" (-2")
Chest:  45" (-2")
Hips:  44" (-0")
I don't really understand how I can lose 4" and little weight.
I thought maybe I'd measured incorrectly but the fact that there was no change in my hips makes me confident I measured correctly.
For my first week (actually 5 days) I'm pleased.  It has been hard at times but I have not been hungry, I have seen some results and I'm encouraged. 
Offical results for Week 1 (which was really only 5 days)
Weight: -0.8lbs
Waist: -2"
Chest:  -2"
Hips:  No change.
Bring on week 2!
I'm no where near an expert but if you have any questions let me know! :)

No comments: