Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Life Lately

We've had a pretty uneventful couple of weeks and it's been really nice.  I like to go and do but I also love being at home.  Right now, I'm doing a class at church with my nephew and working out so that has me out of the house 3 nights a week so I've craved time at home on the weekend.  Plus when the weather is cold I just want to be at home in my pajamas.
AveryAnn and Millie are best friends.  Almost makes me want to get a puppy. Luckily I don't have to because she sees this one everyday and thinks it hers.
Millie isn't entirely convinced of the arrangement but how stinking cute are they.
I can't even handle this.  The smile, the squinched eyes, the static, the donut icing on her face.  She is so funny!
 Daddy kept them one Friday so it was an all day pj day.  I hope they always love each other this much.
We started a chore chart with Barrett in January and he earned his first allowance.  He was so proud and has done so great.  I'm really proud of him.
This is the chart I made.  I realize some of these "chores" are things he should be doing anyway but I'm trying to create good habits.  In a few months he'll get new chores and these will still be an expectation. He earns $1 each day if he completes all 5 chores.  We then have three jars one for spending, one for saving and one for giving.  He puts $1 in the save jar and $1 in the give jar each week and then whatever is left over goes in the spend jar.
January 27th was Jessica's birthday so Brittany and I took her to brunch to celebrate.  Then since we were on that side of town we went to World Market so I could get some sugar free Torani syrup for my coffee.  That led us to Nordstrom Rack, where I spent more money than I should have but not as much as I could have.  I got some necessities.  All in all it was a great day!  Jessica is the sweetest friend.  I'm so thankful for her and her family.  They are like family to us!
This sweet girl got some full on pig tails.  They were so cute I couldn't stand it.
She has to be touching me at all times.  Sometimes it's too much, and I take it for granted.  Sometimes I just don't want to be touched.  But I'm thankful for these babies and I know they won't be babies forever.  One day they won't want anything to do with me.
Thursday night Barrett begged to go workout with me, but on Thursdays I do two classes and they're later.  Also it's been so crowded since the first of the year, that I really didn't want him to go.  I asked him if he really wanted to go workout or if he just wanted to go with me by himself.  And he said he just wanted to be with me.  So I promised him I would take him on a special little date on Friday night.  I'm pretty sure his love language is quality time, so I'm trying to be more intentional about that with him.
So he emptied the money from his spend jar and we headed to Walmart.  Now, I'm going to be honest, there's not a whole lot to buy for $6 at Walmart.  I explained to him that was all he had to spend and if he found something for more than $6 he would have to save up for it.  We spent nearly an hour in the toy department scouring every aisle, he found something for $3 and he liked that he would have a new toy and would still have $3 to put back in his spend jar.  But then he found a flip racer for $5.88 and he had to have it.  I had to give him 42 cents but he was a happy boy, and so proud. 
After Walmart we headed to Dairy Queen to use a gift card he got for his birthday.  I loved being able to give him my undivided attention.
We got some ice cream and headed home.  It was so simple and not expensive and I could tell that he really loved it.
I really can't believe he's five years old and will be heading to kindergarten in the fall. 
Funny faces.  I'm going to make it a priority to spend more one on one time with him. 
One of my goals for 2018 is to read one book a month.  This was the first book I finished in 2018, even though I started it in December.  It took my forever to read but it was really good.  I want to see the movie now.
This was the second book for 2018.  I love Melanie Shankle, I've read her blog for years and the other books shes written.  I love this book because it is where I am.  In the everyday mundane life of raising kids it feels like we're not doing much in the world but we are.  Life is not the big moments, life is lived in the simple, every day moments.  There is a study that goes with the book.  I bought the workbook thinking it went along with the book, it does not.  It is it's own thing based on the book.  I want to order the DVDs and do it.  (A friend messaged me that she's about to start teaching it and I really, really want to join her group but I just can't right now.)
Sunday we were getting ready for church and I could only find one of AveryAnn's shoes.  Which was fine because she insisted on wearing her "flippers" anyway.  So she went to Mass in house shoes.  I just laughed.  At least we made it, that alone feels like a victory with small kids.
I think we're all caught up.

No comments: