Thursday, February 22, 2018

TWO

Dear AveryAnn,
     Today, you are two years old.  It doesn't quite seem possible that two whole years have passed since we first met you, but the calendar says it's true.  I don't know if it's because you're the second child or a girl or just your personality but you seem so much older at two than your brother did.  He was still my little baby.  Not you though, you are so independent, (most of the time).  You want to walk when we're out and about, you can say so many words and probably learn 5 new words every day.  You do still like to be held and insist we rock before bed each night.  I'm not complaining.  I miss that squishy newborn so much but I love the spunky little girl you're becoming.  
You were not a fan of the candles tonight!

    Today, I replayed the day of your birth over and over.  I felt like every time I turned around there were little reminders of that day.  I took you to the doctor for your checkup.  It was around the same time your daddy and I rode those same elevators up to see my doctor on the day you were born.  We rode those same elevators down to labor and delivery that day.  You were watching bubble guppies at work and it went off, Friends was playing on the TV when the recording ended. I remembered sitting in that triage room hooked up to all the monitors, I flipped through the TV that morning and finally landed on Friends to watch to pass the time.  We were outside playing when we got home and Crystal texted to tell you Happy Birthday and I remembered hearing you cry for the first time with big tears streaming down my face and looking over at Crystal taking pictures and seeing the tears in her eyes too.  It was such a sweet moment that I never expected.  We came in from playing and ate dinner and Barrett was so excited to celebrate you tonight.  It reminded me how excited the flood of family was that came to meet you on the night you were born.  I ended the night tonight rocking you and you had your head on my shoulder and looked up at me and all I could see was the very first picture I shared of you.  All squishy and new with your head on my shoulder.  It was the perfect ending to a beautiful day.  (that's not to say the day was perfect.  You pitched the most royal fit at the doctors office when they asked you to stand on the scale and got so upset you made yourself vomit. That part of today wasn't so great).  

Today, I am so thankful that God chose you to be ours.  You bring so much joy and laughter to our family.  We can't wait to watch you grow and learn this year.  We can't wait to see what good things you bring to the world. We can't wait to see how you use your gifts to spread joy wherever you go.  Happy 2nd Birthday AveryAnn!  We love you more than you'll ever know!
Love,
Mom (and Dad) :)

No comments: