Thursday, November 5, 2020

Adler's First Week

Our first week was a sweet one with our sweet girl.  We stayed in the hospital for 3 nights and to be honest, I would have stayed the fourth if I didn't miss the big kids so much.  They were so ready to meet their sister I couldn't stand the thought of making them wait another day.  
It was bittersweet not being able to have visitors this time.  I was sad that everyone didn't get to meet her right away but it was also so nice to be able to rest and just really soak up all the sweetness of having a newborn baby on your chest. 

This might have been the only time I laid her in the bassinet the whole time we were there.  The nurses laughed at us because one of us was holding her nearly every time they came in to check on us.  

At first I thought she looked just like AveryAnn, but now I'm thinking she looks more like Barrett,

I'm not kidding when I say we held her nearly the entire time she was in our room.  We sent her to the nursery every night.  

Patrick went home Tuesday afternoon to shower and go see the big kids.  I was a little jealous he got to see them.  That was the worst part of being in the hospital.  It was a little weird there being no visitors in the hospital.  It reminded me of when we were there at Christmas when Barrett was born.  It was so quiet and felt like we were the only people there.

One of the sweetest parts of formula feeding was Patrick getting to feed her too.  He fed her as much or more than I did.  I felt sick more this time than I did with the other two so I was nice that he was able to feed her while I wasn't feeling great.

Playing dress up with some fun headbands!
She's a great snuggler!



We came home on Thursday, Oct. 22.  We were so ready to see the big kids and for them to meet her.  This is the blanket my mom made her! I love how it turned out so much!

We got home around lunch time, the kids weren't going to be home until 3:00 so we had a little time to get settled.  My parents got balloons and let the kids decorate the porch and mailbox.  It was so sweet.  Barrett was the first one home.  He came in off the bus and she was asleep.  He walked over to her and started talking and she turned her head to look at him.  It was the sweetest thing.  I told him she recognized his voice and he had the biggest grin on his face.  AveryAnn came in shortly after and she was equally as smitten.  I was so excited to finally all be home together.



They couldn't wait to get their hands on her.  I love these pictures so much!

They wanted to feed her.  Another reason I'm thankful for formula.  They have loved getting to feed her some too.

She's a natural.  She thinks she knows everything about taking care of her baby sister and she does not hesitate to tell you if she thinks you're doing something incorrectly.
The big kids stayed with my parents Thursday night since they were out of school Friday.  We were a little nervous for our first night at home, without the nursery. Ha! They came home around lunch time Friday and we enjoyed the day at home together.  Friday evening Patrick's parents came to meet Adler.  Again, the strangest part of not having visitors in the hospital was no one got to meet her until she was already 4-5 days old.  My parents came Friday night too.  Saturday morning, my sister and brother-in-law came to meet her.  The kids were so excited to show her off.  Around lunch my baby brother and his wife and kids got to come by and meet her.  We loved getting to introduce her to everyone. 
Sunday Barrett had Sunday School so the kids stayed with my parents Saturday night too.  I woke up Sunday morning very dizzy and not feeling well at all.  Barrett also had his last baseball game.  So I told Patrick to go get him from my parents and send one of them to our house to help me with the baby.  So my Mom came and stayed with me for the day.  I've been so thankful for their help.  I finally started to feel better in the evening.  I think it was the pain medication I was taking.
Monday, Adler and I both had doctors appointments.  I got my staples out and got a good report.  Adler got a good report too.  She'd gained one ounce since leaving the hospital and is just perfect.  Her cord stump fell off on Saturday.  We were shocked it came off so quickly. 

Daddy rocked himself and the baby to sleep. 
We are trying to soak up every minute together.  The big kids still adore her.  I know the new will probably wear off soon but I hope they always love each other.  

No comments: