Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A State Divided

If you're from Alabama you know exactly what I'm referring to.  From a very early age all Alabamians are taught to cheer for either The University of Alabama or Auburn.  Most of you know I'm UA all the way but my husband is Auburn through and through.  I'm not going to lie it puts a strain on our marriage especially during football season.  (I know what you're thinking...we need to get our priorities straight if football strains our marriage..and you are right, we working on it).  Today is a sad day for the Auburn family.  I would even go as far to say that its a disappointing day for the Bama nation as well.  You see, Auburn University has a long standing tradition of Toomer's Corner.  There's a drug store with really good lemonade and after each win everyone gathers at Toomer's to roll the 2 huge Oaks that make the corner.  It's kind of a big deal.  Okay it's a really big deal.  They've even started rolling the trees for other significant events in the Auburn Family. 
Well as most of you local people have heard some ignorant Alabama fan has poisoned the beloved trees and they are going to die.  What makes this story even more sad is the fact that the idiot called the Paul Finbaum show last month bragging about what he'd done.  I am mortified that someone would do this.  I hate Auburn but I still have respect for their campus and their tradition.  It makes me mad that someone would do this.  It also makes me mad that Auburn fans are lumping this guy in with all Bama fans.  I really am scared at what may happen next.  UA has installed surveillance cameras around the stadium.  I'm just waiting for someone to destroy the Bear's statue.  It is going to turn into a civil war in the state of Alabama. 
I agree this is a terrible act and this man should be punished.  This is where Patrick and I disagree, he thinks the man should go to jail.  I think the man should be punished, but I think jail is not the answer.  I think this man should have to complete community service on the campus at Auburn.  He should have help replace the tree all while the students stand around and heckle him.  (okay maybe that last part was harsh).  I think this punishment will teach him more about respect than sitting in a jail cell. 
I'm also saddened that the state of Alabama has won back to back National Championships and Heisman trophies but will now be remembered for some stupid vandalism by one fan.

Side note...this time last week I was showing pictures of the beautiful snow falling...today I'm wearing shorts and flip flops...this is why I love Alabama.

1 comment:

MLBarajas said...

I couldn't believe it when my husband told me. He went to school at Auburn and can't believe someone would stoop that low and ruin such a long standing tradition.