Saturday, January 20, 2018

2018 Goals

Last year I got a planner by Ink and Volt and I loved it.  (You can see last year's post HERE.)  Usually with planners I can't find them about 8 months into the year.  I still had and used this one in December so I decided to order another one.  I felt like it really helped me stay focused and motivated. Whatever it takes, right?!  I didn't list all my specific goals in that post (probably because I was scared of failure.)  I didn't complete all my goals last year, in fact I probably didn't even really get started on some of them.  Last year my "theme" for the year was ME.  I wanted to start taking better care of myself so that I could better care for my people.  I can say without a doubt I achieved this.  I started eating for fuel and taking care of myself.  I started working out and building muscles.  I started reading books again.  I feel like overall, I really started learning to love myself.  Not just my physical body but also who I am as a person.  I want to be someone my family is proud of and for them to be proud of me, I first needed to be proud of myself.  I finally feel like I can say that I'm proud of Me.
This year, the last Thursday of 2017, Brittany and I sat down together and evaluated the year, did some self evaluation and brainstormed what we wanted 2018 to look like.  (If you're into goals and you've never done some sort of self-evaluation, I highly encourage it.)  I felt like it was very eye-opening as to how I actually spend my time versus how I should spend my time to achieve my goals.  Also what takes up time that adds to your life versus what drains you.  Finally, I looked at the things I wanted to start, change and achieve in 2018 and set specific, measurable goals.  I separated them into daily, weekly and monthly goals.
This year the planner included a page to "bring your year into focus".  It asked three simple questions to help define what you'd like 2018 to look like.  I really loved this feature this year.  It like having a little self-reflection right with you all the time, if you need some reassurance.
The first question is, "What do you want to leave behind this year?" My answer, Bad Habits.  Bad habits with food, social media, attitude (my reactions), money (overspending), selfishness, wasting time, procrastination.  The second question is, What are the things you want to learn this year? My answer, Health.  Mental health, choosing joy, not playing the comparison game, reading more.  Physical health, continue working out, cooking healthy meals for my family (that they will eat).  Spiritual health, start daily quiet time, read through the one year bible.  This was a goal last year that I didn't achieve. I really want to make this happen this year.  The last question is, "What would it look like if this year went perfectly? What would you have/be/do?  I said Peace!  At peace with my body, both mentally and physically.  At peace with our home, start some updating, get it decluttered and organized.  Get rid of crap we don't need or use.  At peace with work, I want to grow our little sign company but I've always been too scared of failure.  I want to step out and try to offer new products and really grow.
Using those three questions and answers  I came up with my overall theme for 2018.
DISCIPLINE
:Train to obey rules or a code of behavior.
I'm training myself to obey these rules and adapt a new code of behavior for my life.  (This sounds dreadful, but I'm really excited)  Through discipline I want to make good choices, wake up early and choose joy, everyday.
Now for my goals.  Some are serious, some silly.  But they all mean something to me. 
Read 12 books (one per month)
Send birthday cards in the mail.
Add $50 to my savings account per month. (I know this should be higher but baby steps)
Workout 3-4 times a week.  (3 weeks in and going strong)
Lose last 20lbs. (preferably before April)
Family physical activity-Monthly (hike, swim, walk, etc)
Date Night- Monthly (even if it's dinner and a movie at home)
Daily quiet time (I'm 20 days in and craving this time each morning)
Do one Random Act of Kindness-Weekly
Wear a bikini-Confidently!
Meet with Lisa monthly (Body Fat Analysis)
Establish phone free areas and times
Organize house room by room
Cook 4 nights a week
Drink water everyday
Monthly Budget meetings
10th Anniversary vacation!!!
Those are my goals this year!  So far so good.  I'm proud of the progress so far.  (I know we're only 3 weeks in) Most people have given up on their resolutions by week three.  I'm still hanging in there.  I'm shocked by how much I enjoy getting up early to read my bible and quiet time.  I'm still loving working out and making my body strong.  I'm learning to love cooking.  I've almost finished my first book of the year.  I'm excited for all 2018 has in store.  (I'm almost nervous to admit the joy I feel about this year for fear that something tragic is looming around the corner. But I can't let myself worry about what I don't know.  I can only celebrate what I do know). 
I want to get back to posting my monthly goals here.  I enjoyed having that record and accountability. 



No comments: